Monday, November 14, 2005

Buffalo Chips Weekly News Update

Clarksburg Classic Races, 5K, half-marathon, 30K, 20M

(From Linda Hall)It was a perfect day for running in Clarksburg 30k (along with the 5k, half marathon, and 20 milers) and there was a lot of the herd out and running. There was a very nice new long sleeve T shirt design this year representing the lovely vineyards that line much of the way.

For the 30k (the one for the USATF team scoring) I saw:

For the Men:
Mike Maguire 2:04:47
Dennis Early 2:06:39
Young Joe Krtil 2:14:51
Bob Sharman 2:17:46
Doug Braasch 2:17:53 (won third place in his age group)
Chris Enfante 2:17:53
Ernie Takahashi 2:22
Arnie Utterbach 2:28:53
Bill Pequinot 2:32:21
Mario Sanchez 2:42:37
Joel Contreras 2:43:37
Jim Fischer 2:44:07
Jim Yee 2:59:57
Tony Alvarez 3:12:45

For the women:
Jenny Hitchings 2:07:28 (second in age group)
Gina Mandy 2:22:40
Barbara Miller 2:32:32 (first in age group)
Elizabeth Ware 2:37:42
Barbara Elia 2:59:54 (second in age group) (outkicked Jim Yee at the finish so that she would get under 3 hours.....great work by both Barbara and Jim)
Anne Veling 2:48 (fifth woman 50-59)
Cynci Calvin 3:05:35 (the Impalas noted her time and are now really worried about when she will join the Super Seniors team!!!)
Linda Hall 3:18:37 (11 minutes faster than last year!)
Lesa Havert 3:43:15

For the super senior women's team we will score Barbara Miller, Barbara Elia, and Linda Hall. This guarantees us another first place finish and first place overall for the PAUSATF grand prix for road racing. Hurrah and thanks to all the super senior women who have participated this year!

I am sure I missed a few, because there were other chips singlets out there. I just missed their names on the score sheets.

Some chips race the 20 miler so we cannot score them on the USATF teams.....maybe next year, they could run the 30 k and just tack a 1.4 mile on before or after the race. Here are the 20 milers I saw:

Shanna 3:14:13 (who lead the group of 3 to the finish)
Mark Murray, 2:12, FIRST OVERALL !!!!!!!

(From Mark Murray…)
It was Nichols wise (cherry picking) advice that prompted me to jump in the 20 miler. I was mostly pleased that I stuck with my ‘training run’ plan and went out at 6:40-45’s for the first 10, and then 6:30’s for the return. It helped that I needed to make up a full 2 minute gap at the turn around on first. It also helped that it was my birthday—43.

Please forgive me for another one of my nostalgic lapses…

Twenty seven years ago, having just recently moved to California as a high school sophomore from New York, I was persuaded by my new best friend—Dave Hamer—to enter what would be my first road race, the Pepsi 20. I had just completed a very unmemorable debut cross country season as a mid-packer on the JV team at San Juan. And I’m guessing my longest run at that point was maybe 12 miles. Dave’s brother Chris was our driver. It was a very cold and rainy day, and as I recall, my ‘sweats’ were a pair of wrangler jeans. As the race started, I foolishly tried to stay with Dave, and soon after the turn around, I was toast—very cold and wet toast. At some point on my jog/walk back to Clarksburg, a nice woman in a 280 Z (that was considered a cool car back then), took pity on me and drove me to the finish. So my road race debut was a DNF. I came back the next year, as a HS junior, and ran sub 2 hours (for 20). I’d certainly love to have those legs back.

Tony Lafferty, 2:45
Rhonda Holden, 3:00
Mike Schwartz 3:14:18
Chris Wellins 3:14:41
Harry Criswell 3:21:53
Dennis Scott 3:22:33
Ron Peck 3:32:17
Lillian Shek 3:4801
Po Adams

In the 5 k, I saw: Roger and Florence Fong and Nova Poff.

Barbara Elia and her significant other have the right idea for after the races.....they were seen enjoying a wine and cheese and chips tail gate party! I think we should make that a Chips tradition after Clarksburg!

Tortoise and Hare 10k, Ann Arbor, MI.

Chris Iwahashi led the small Chips contingent at this classic Fall event with a first masters, 5th overall finish (about 43:xx) in the women’s division. Warren Lockette turned a solid sub 50 minute 10k while harassing several University of Michigan current athletes (swimmers) who were also in the race. The conditions were good and there were probably 600+ participants in a 5k and then 10k and also “iron-combo” race morning.

Coming soon….California International Marathon…and relay option…

Also Chips BUFFALO BASH ANNUAL CLUB PARTY…Evening of 4 December about 5:30-9 p.m.

No comments: